Role Human Resources Generalist – Part-Time
~20 to 25 hours per week
Reports to President
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for providing a full range of HR services to support business strategy, including recruitment, training, performance management and HR policy development & implementation. This role works closely with the management team to build a positive, productive and commitment culture that attracts and retains a high performing team to achieve business results.
This is a permanent part-time position of 20 to 25 hours per week, with flexibility to set a work schedule that meets both personal and business needs.
Staffing and Training
- Assess current and projected staffing needs (including hourly and salaried staff) with the management team to meet business needs
- Gather comparable external compensation data for budgeting and planning purposes
- Develop career progression paths and cross-training opportunities where feasible
- Develop and implement a recruitment plan to attract qualified, motivated candidates
- Prepare job postings, interview qualified candidates, check references, prepare job offers / employment contracts
- Develop and execute / support an effective onboarding and training program tailored to each role
- Ensure new hires are successfully onboarded and thoroughly trained, working closely with Supervisors as required
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the training provided to support high performance; provide support and coaching to Supervisors where warranted to ensure training is effective
- Strengthen the company’s recruitment, onboarding and training practices
- Pursue government grants wherever possible to offset hiring and training costs
- Develop and implement an effective Performance Management program, including:
- Up-to-date job descriptions with clear performance objectives for each role
- Performance assessment process including formal and informal feedback and coaching
- Provide Supervisor training to strengthen coaching and feedback skills
- Remove obstacles to performance
- Provide individual coaching and counselling as required to support high performance and retention
- Develop and implement a fair progressive discipline policy that reflects best practices
HR Policies and Procedures
- Develop, implement and enforce comprehensive HR policies that meets legislative requirements (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Access for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Health and Safety, etc.) and reflects the company’s culture and business practices
- Provide training to Supervisors and staff to ensure thorough understanding of HR policies and procedure
- Ensure the company complies with applicable legislative reporting requirements
- Lead the company in developing and protecting a positive, supportive and professional work environment in which everyone is treated with dignity and respect
Required Skills and Attributes
Skills and Experience
⁻ Post-secondary degree with completion of professional courses in Human Resources
⁻ Certified Human Resources Professional designation (achieved or in progress) preferred
⁻ Min 5 years’ experience in Human Resources in generalist positions, ideally in small, family-based businesses
⁻ Strong knowledge of HR legislative requirements
⁻ Superior communication skills
⁻ Strong decision making and judgment
⁻ Strong business acumen
⁻ Excellent planning, organization and execution skills
⁻ Meets deadlines; willing to work additional hours as needed during peak periods
⁻ Collaborative – integrates information across the organization
⁻ High level of integrity and accountability
*Note: The “Core Duties” is a summary of the duties that are essential to this role and is not an exhaustive list.
Schinkel’s Legacy reserves the right to add or amend duties as necessary.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
At an applicant’s request, Schinkel’s will modify its recruitment process to accommodate persons with disabilities.
Schinkel’s thanks all applicants for their interest. Please be advised that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.